How To Keep Your Eyes Healthy
At Eyesite we care about the health of your eyes. Having an annual eye exam with an optometrist is crucial in protecting your and your family’s eyesight.
If you’ve recently been diagnosed with an eye disorder or you think you may be experiencing the symptoms of one, take a look at our common disorders and FAQ pages, which cover the following eye health information, including causes and treatment.
Eye Health Tips
- Visit your Eyesite optometrist regularly – optometrists are professionally trained not only to test sight and prescribe glasses and contact lenses but also to also spot eye problems and treat infections. Find out more about the different eye examinations available at Eyesite.
- Eyesite offers Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) tests which provide a detailed, 3D scan of the back of your eye by emitting light waves. This state-of-the-art test enables us to identify certain eye conditions accurately, such as glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration. It can also be used to detect optic nerve disorders.
- We also offer Optomap retinal scans. These scans provide an extensive screening of your retina and allow us to detect diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and retinal disease. It captures more than 80% of your retina in one image where other scans would only record around 15%. Enabling us to detect issues early on, Optomap retinal scans mean that we can protect you from prospective visual impairment or blindness.
- We invest in the latest technology to ensure we give you the most thorough eye health examination possible
- Be ‘eye aware’ – make sure you regularly check each of your eyes one at a time and, if you notice any changes, consult your optometrist.
- Parents, keep an eye on your children – don’t forget, they don’t know what ‘normal’ vision is, so watch out for signs that there may be problems. These include instances where children’s eyes appear not to work together, if they rub their eyes often or if they seem to shut one eye to see more clearly.
- Contact lens wearers – never wear anyone else’s lenses, never wash them in tap water or sleep in them (unless your optometrist says you can). Most importantly, make sure to always follow care instructions.
- Buy good quality, dark sunglasses – sunlight can damage the retina and the lens of the eye and pose a risk of long-term damage to your eyesight. Look for glasses at Eyesite carrying the “CE” Mark and British Standard BS EN 1836:1997 which ensures that the sunglasses offer a safe level of UV protection. All sunglasses sold at Eyesite meet these British Standards and offer full UV protection.
Make sure your eyes are healthy – book an exam today
It couldn’t be simpler to make sure your eyes are healthy. Book an appointment with one of Eyesite’s experienced, professional optometrists today and we’ll perform an in-depth examination.